Friday, January 10, 2014

"When you care, you conserve."

"When we tug at a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world." John Muir

Years ago while I planed to take a large group of friends to St. Catherines I asked them if there was anything anyone particularly wanted to do. Of course I wanted to go walk the beaches, see the lemurs fed, tour the Button Gwinnett house, see south end settlement, visit the mission, and have drinks admiring sunsets over the marsh, maybe even crabs for dinner. Any other requests? Then my friend Kari asked "Elizabeth, what do you want us to get out of this visit?" I was touched, I thought only a moment..."I just want you to care, to care about this place."

"When you care, you conserve."

When you care you will find your own way to take care. No one has to lecture you to reduce, reuse, recycle or to eat local organic food. No one need explain the evils of plastic, power lines, pollution, or paper mills. Things like not walking on dunes, turning out lights on the beach on summer nights, choosing sustainable seafood for dinner and refusing that Styrofoam to go box are just decisions you make more and more. This list of dos and don'ts is different for every individual according their passions, backgrounds, and abilities. It's important to follow our hearts. If you sit down to dinner with me you may notice a great deal of my heart is on an island.

No comments:

Post a Comment